Tuesday, August 13, 2013

WEEK 9- FIRST ZONE CONFERENCE



This was an exciting week!  I got to go on exchange with one of my MTC companions Sister Kotter.  She is in Lemoille, so that was a neat experience seeing how the work is going in that area.  One thing I love about the church is that no matter where you go, the church is the same.  Every ward or branch is filled with incredible members of the church!  I love it!  Thursday we had some pretty neat experiences.  We had quite a few plans for the day but quite a few of them fell through. Torre called and cancelled because she had hurt her foot, so that left a pretty big chunk of time to fill.  We went to Barton and a few other things fell through so we decided to go to Bella and Sara's house.  Sara was home so we asked if there was any service we could do at their home.  She called her mom and asked if there were things that they could use our help with so me and Sister Deters mowed the lawn and cleaned up the yard and did some dishes.  It's pretty awesome how the Lord always provides a way for us if we look for ways to serve.  We also got a new investigator today!  She was on the potential investigator list so we decided to stop by her home and see if she was interested.  She talked to us for a good half hour and we answered a lot of her questions.  She already basically believes everything we believe and so I really think that once we share with her the fullness of the gospel she will be solid!  We're going to start teaching her the lessons on Thursday!  Friday we had a pretty good lesson with Phil who is a less active member in the branch.  He seemed so much more relaxed and open to learning so that was wonderful!  We hadn't been able to get a hold of Danielle (one of our investigators) over the phone so we decided to stop by after seeing Phil.  She was home and we were able to talk to her and it was incredible.  She basically shared with us her desire to change so that she can have the gospel the center of her life.  The Atonement of Jesus Christ can work miracles on those who have desire to change.  She came to church on Sunday and we had a lesson with her last night and we have another one planned for Thursday so things are moving right along.  Saturday we were able to help Tammy again with getting her things unpacked and sorted out.  She fed us dinner and we were able to answer some more of her questions about the church.  We had our first zone conference on Monday!  It was at the Joseph Smith Memorial so that was incredible.  The spirit there is so strong there and I feel so lucky to be able to serve in the area where the Prophet who restored the gospel was born.  We learned some awesome things in the conference and I am extremely excited to see how things will change in our area as we make the changes that were taught.  I think the biggest thing is having a positive attitude!  Attitude is truly everything.  There are quite a few reasons that could make it easy for me to have a little bit of a negative attitude being in the area that I'm in because of the 'lack of success' this branch has felt they've had in the past, but God is hastening the work and this area is not excluded from that promise!  I've already witnessed so many miracles here in the past couple of months and I know that many more are in store!  I couldn't have been put in a better place to serve at this time.  I learn so much from the wonderful members here and I want to do everything that I can to help them see the miracles of missionary work.  
My companion had me read Doctrine and Covenants Sec. 11 this morning and I thought it to be very enlightening and motivating so I hope it can have the same effect on all of you, because we are ALL missionaries.
Verses 8-14 were the ones that really stood out to me.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, even as you desire of me so it shall be done unto you; and, if you desire, you shall be the means of doing much good in this generation.
Say nothing but repentance unto this generation.  Keep my commandments, and assist to bring forth my work, according to my commandments, and you shall be blessed.  
Behold, thou hast a gift, or thou shalt have a gift if thou wilt desire of me in faith, with an honest heart, believing in the power of Jesus Christ, or in my power which speaketh unto thee;
For, behold, it is I that speak; behold, I am the light which shineth in darkness, and by my power I give these words unto thee.
And now, verily, verily, I say unto thee, put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good-- yea, to do justly, to walk humbly, to judge righteously; and this is my Spirit.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy; 
And then shall ye know, or by this shall you know, all things whatsoever you desire of me, which are pertaining unto things of righteousness, in faith believing in me that you shall receive.

God has blessed us all with our own individual gifts, and with these gifts He has given us we can "be the means of doing much good" and our souls can be filled with joy!.  I know this to be true!  I invite you all to identify the gifts God has given you and when you do this God will bless you with even more gifts.  I send my love and prayers to all who are reading this.  I love you all and wish you the very best!  I hope you all have a wicked good week!

Much love, Sister Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment