Monday, October 20, 2014

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? ARE YOU LISTENING NOW?


Fall is leaving as quickly as it came! We went from enjoying nice seventy degree weather last week, to forty degree weather this week! We even got some snow in the "mountains" yesterday!

A quick little update from the Be Courageous challenge. Most the week I didn't really notice any ways that I had been overly courageous. Little did I know that the need have courage would come today. I found out that I was not accepted to BYU. Oddly though as soon as I knew, I felt completely at peace. I knew that it was simply God's plan that He needs me to be somewhere else. Immediately I remembered a priesthood blessing that I had received several months earlier which said that things would work out when I got home and that I would be surprised how well things would come together. I didn't necessarily need to know that at the time I was receiving the blessing, but I did need to know that now. I feel very hopeful for the future and I am trusting in God's promises and know that God has a plan for us all.


This week has been an interesting one. The service that we do at second chance was switched this week from Tuesday to Thursday. Doesn't seem like that would really have much of an effect on the week, but surprisingly it kind of threw our whole week for a loop. Sister McVey and I also decided it was time to break free of some routines that had been established by previous missionaries that we felt would be beneficial to change, so overall this week wasn't the average week. It was a great week though! Both Sister McVey and I have been focusing on getting to know the members better. We realized that from the routines that were set, we were restricted to being in certain areas on certain days. Because we decided to break that routine we were able to visit members that haven't been visited for a long time. The members here in the Lamoille Ward are incredible. It has been such a blessing getting to know them better.

Shifting gears a bit...
Funny story for the week. We were trying to find a less active member in Hyde Park. We were on the road where it said he lived..... I need you to imagine Vermont roads here for a minute. They aren't your average, friendly, neighborhood roads. We are talking about dirt roads where houses are spread a good distance apart. We realized we had passed where we thought the member lived so we drove a little further to find a place to turn around. As we were approaching where we wanted to turn around a duck and a goose popped out of the woodwork and starting charging at our car! It was one of the most intense experiences of my life! These were not your average "pond" animals, they were vicious! Most people have guard dogs or security systems. Little did I know that a duck and a goose could get the job done! And a job well done they did! The goose was definitely the lead protector. He attacked the tires and the door, and to top it all off he made dinosaur noises while he did it. I had never seen anything like it. Pretty average day in Vermont.


The highlight from the week was definitely this weekend. Stake Conference. It was one of the greatest Stake Conferences I have ever attended. Bishop Dean Davies of the presiding Bishopric was there and addressed us both Saturday evening and Sunday. Our ride for Saturday evening fell through, so we rode with the Bishop and his family a little earlier in the afternoon because he had some meetings to attend. Right after we arrived the family reunion began! Because all of Vermont is one stake the Newport Branch would also attend this Stake Conference. For those of you who don't know, Newport was the first area that I served in, and the people in that area are family to me! Within the first five minutes of arrival I saw the Cubit clan! It was quite the joyous reunion! Sunday was an even bigger reunion because a lot more of the people were in attendance. I was so overwhelmed with the love that I have for the people here in Vermont. I felt so blessed to have been able to serve among such incredible people. Not only was it incredible to see so many people that I love, but the talks that were given both nights were general conference status. It was truly phenomenal. One of the talks that really stood out was where my subject title came from. President Bush, from the Stake Presidency was one of the first ones to address us. He used the common phrase of "Can you hear me now?" and switched it to "Are you listening now?" He talked on the great importance of focusing on listening rather than just hearing, especially in regards to the promptings and guidance we receive from the Holy Ghost. So that is my challenge and invitation to all of you this week is to be extra aware of the promptings from the Holy Ghost and the things that Heavenly Father wants us to not only hear, but to listen to, and act on. I've really been loving hymns lately so here is one for the week!

Let The Holy Spirit Guide

Let the Holy Spirit guide;
Let him teach us what is true.
He will testify of Christ,
Light our minds with heaven's view.

Let the Holy Spirit guard;
Let his whisper govern choice.
He will lead us safely home
If we listen to his voice.

Let the Spirit heal our hearts
Thru his quiet, gentle pow'r.
May we purify our lives
To receive him hour by hour.

I love you all and pray that you'll have an awesome week!
Sister Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment